Thursday, December 12, 2013

Best Dressing Ever!!

Best dressing recipe ever--I promise!  This was my grandmother's, my mom's and aunt's, and now mine.  My mom was known for her dressing :).  Try it and you'll see I'm right. 

4 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix
32 oz chicken broth
1/2 pkg of Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Dressing
celery
yellow onion
stick of butter
6 boiled eggs
6 raw eggs, beaten
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 or 2 cups of broth from your turkey

Two days before I make dressing I cut up my celery and onions and cook just until tender
in the butter.  After it is cooled, I freeze the celery/onion mixture. 

The day prior to making the dressing I cook my cornbread.  After it is cooked, I break it up and
add the PF dressing mix.  No more than half a package.  I go ahead and add the salt, pepper, garlic
powder, and poultry seasoning.  Stir all that together and let it blend overnight.  I cover it with a
dishtowel.  Needless to say, you'll need a big pan for all of this.  I also boil the 6 eggs I'll be using and refrigerate them.

On the big day, I add the celery/onion mixture (partially thawed), chop up the boiled eggs and add,
add the beaten eggs, the broth (32 oz canned) along with the broth from your turkey.  After that, you will want to add water.  This is where you add your own touch.  Not too much  but not too little or it will be dry.  Sometimes it takes a couple of times of dressing making to get it where you like it.  My mom use to add enough water until it was almost 'floating'.  I add a little less (near floating)  :).  Add the water a little at a time and stir thoroughly so you don't overadd.

Dressing doesn't have to be a scary thing to make.  By doing things ahead of time, it makes it quick and easy to put together just before baking it.  I really think the key to flavor is letting the cornbread and spices blend overnight.  After it's all assembled, bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  Again, you'll add your own touch by deciding when it's cooked.  Watch it carefully.  And then, you'll be
the cook who is known for her dressing.  Enjoy!  Oh, and let me know how your's comes out!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.