Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Stable Foundation

As my mom use to greet us on Christmas Eve, "Christmas Eve Gift!", so I greet you.

My kitchen chalkboard reads, "All Families Need a Stable Foundation".  That is my story for today.
December 24, 1931, my grandparents were married at Key Baptist Church in Key, Texas.  It was at 7:30 in the evening.  I was very close to my grandmother growing up.  My grandparents lived across the street from us.  My brother and I rode to church with them,  not because my parents didn't go because they did.  But my grandparents went early to check on their business and so that my grandfather could check the facilities at our church and my grandmother could have her Sunday School room ready for the five year olds.  And my brother and I thought that was such fun--arriving before most people and riding with them.  My parents both had responsibilities in Sunday School so they arrived shortly but still....grandparents just seemed more fun.

I have thought a lot about my grandmother today.  Their house was where all the holiday activities took place.  I would go early in the morning on Christmas Eve just to be there while she prepared everything.  I can hear the sounds and smell the smells coming from her kitchen to this day.  I have wondered this morning what her wedding day was like;  trying to picture her as a 22 year old bride preparing for her wedding. 

Tonight, at 7:30, I'll be sitting with my family in our church's Christmas Eve service, thinking back
to the events of 82 years ago that occurred at that exact time and rejoicing that it began on Christmas Eve, and for the legacy they leave.

I am thankful for the "stable foundation" that my grandparents and my parents put into my life.  We are trying to do that with our children.  It is the most important gift we can give them.  I pray your home has that, too.  My prayer for our blog friends this Christmas is Philippians 3:10, "That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection...".  And John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him might not perish but have everlasting Life."
Merry Christmas, dear friends.  May this be a special Christmas season for you and your family.

My Christmas Motto

My beautiful flowers from my firstborn

Getting ready!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.