Monday, January 20, 2014

Hob Nail and Toile

Hello!  And Happy Monday!

Two of the things that make me happy and I enjoy looking at and using are Hob Nail
accessories and anything toile.  They obviously have no connection but I was just thinking
about both of them today and wanted to share some pictures with you, in case anyone
else enjoys them.

I researched Hob Nail and found out that it was popular in Victorian times and was made
by either blowing a glass vessel into a mold or by pressing the glass into a mold.  Fenton
Art Glass first introduced their hob nail glass in 1939 and their milk glass hob nail in 1950.
It was one of their most successful products and supposedly kept the company going when
other glass makers were closing their doors. 




This milk glass set was from my grandmother.  I remember it displayed in built in shelves in her kitchen.  When I spent the night with her, she would make orange juice at breakfast and serve it from
the pitcher into the cups.  Good memories!




This dessert plate was hers, also.  I have a set of them and enjoy using them.


Toile first came into the English language in the 12th century.  It comes from a French word meaning
"cloth" or a "canvas" to be painted on.  Although the patterns are very old, it saw a huge resurgence
around the year 2000.  Mainly used for decorating, I read that designers are experimenting with it
in apparel.  It was hugely popular in colonial times. 





It's obvious I have a tendency to overdo toile in my house.  And when I have grandchildren, I'm sure it will be here in pastels. 

I hope you enjoyed the little diversion into decorating.  Do you have hob nail or toile?  Let me know how you use it. 

We'll visit again, soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.