Monday, January 6, 2014

Fun Fabric Flowers

Happy Monday to you! 

Last week I promised you a tutorial on how to make fabric flowers.  Lots of pictures, but if you are
like me, I need  step by step directions.  You probably could do it without my micro managing
steps but I didn't want to leave anything out and wanted to try to make it easy for you.
 This wreath has fabric flowers that we made. 
 We used squares (they don't look like it in this picture but they are)  that were 4" x 4".  I personally like flowers from 3x3 squares just as well, maybe better--depends on how you want to use them.
Out of the squares we leave one as a square to be the base and cut the others into circles.  They don't have to be perfect.  You will need 12 circles.
 Fold the circle in two. 
 Fold over--you will have a cone shape.
 Hard to see here, but put hot glue on your base.  About a nickel to quarter size will do it.
 Place the tip of your cone into the top left corner of the glue.
Fold another circle and place the tip of the cone into the top right quadrant of your glue.  The tips of the cones should be touching.

 Third cone in the bottom right quandrant--tip touching the tips of other cones.
 Fourth cone into glue.  Press the cones to make sure they are firmly in the glue.
 In the center of the bottom layer, put another nickel to quarter size "blob" of glue.


 Now you are ready for your second layer of circles.  Fold as before, and place first one in the middle of the first two you placed on the bottom layer.  You want it to be between (and on top of) the first two.  Now do just as you did on the first layer--by quadrants.  After your second layer, you are ready for the third.  As before, put glue on second layer and  place between (on top of) the quadrants. 
Glue a button or anything decorative that will define your center.  You may want to "fluff" your petals a little.  Cut away  your base by cutting around the circle and you'll have this:
You can use different fabrics or circles out of the same fabric.  Because they are folded, you'll still get
a unique look.  These are so fun to use in decorating.  Wreaths, bows, anywhere you want to put them. 
Thanks to a friend, Danielle, from my church for teaching me, and my youngest daughter who made this one while I took pictures.  I hope you can figure this out.  After you do a couple, you find they are really quite easy.  Send me some pictures of yours--I'd love to see how you use them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.