Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Finished Chalk Paint Project

Can you believe it?  It's Wednesday already!  Where do the days go?

Back in January I told you about a project I had started.  And it went bad.  Fast. The
whole ugly saga is here: www.patscollectibles.blogspot.com/2014/01/oopsie.html. 
And then I cried and whined and gave you an update here.  And then I finished it so
I'll show you the end.  And by the way, I finished it quite a while ago, I've just
neglected to put it on the blog--didn't want you to think I was a slacker, even though
I sometimes am.  And now--I know you are anxious for my comments :).



If you read the previous posts about the project and saw the pictures, you can see quite
a difference.
 
 I'm happy with the results because I like old pieces painted--sometimes.  And then
sometimes I like the original, but this time I'm liking the paint.


In my younger days, I thought painted wood needed to be perfect.  Now, I like and appreciate
distressed pieces.  In reality nothing can stay perfect so distressing gives it that look that it
is going to have eventually--it just keeps us from getting upset when "life" distresses our pieces.


It was fun to decorate this piece, and I just "shopped" my house like I shared with you a
few posts back.


The reading glasses on the books belonged to my mom :).  The book they are resting on was
my husband's grandfather's and it is titled: Home Rules-Practical Talks On the Amenities
of Home.  It was published in 1896!  The best thing about the things in this cabinet:  because
they are behind glass I don't have to dust them!  How good is that?
So, I know you're curious...would I do another project like this with chalk paint?
Definitely not!  For me, it has it's place with smaller projects (much smaller) but for these
major projects...chalk paint is forever dead to me.  I know it claims no sanding necessary
but I think this needed a little.  For the cost (too much), the frustration, and the time I'm
pretty sure some really good paint would have done just as well if not better.  Benjamin
Moore has a  good line for things like this or for cabinets.  It is a little pricey but
compared to $38 for a quart of chalk paint, the Benjamin Moore paint is much more
reasonable and I understand the coverage is just as good.  Also, I'm not a fan of the
chalky-ness of chalk paint.  It's just way too flat and requires wax or finish.  Anyway,
that's my opinion, you may love it.    Thanks for suffering with me through this re-do.
With the warm weather, I'm sure I will have some more and next time we'll try the Moore
paint and I suspect, I'll be much happier.  I'll keep you posted :).                 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.