Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Colonial Decorating

You know spring is coming when storms are in the forecast.  And that's in store
for us tomorrow.  Yay spring!

I like many decorating types.  If I had to narrow my preferences down to 3 it
would be farmhouse, cottage, and colonial.

Until I researched it, I thought colonial was colonial; period.  I knew that
when I was growing up, it was referred to as "Early American".  And now
it is "Colonial".  But I didn't realize there were multiple kinds of colonial.
Of course, there is American Colonial.  And there is also British Colonial,
Spanish Colonial, Primitive Colonial, Plantation Colonial, Caribbean
Colonial; almost everything Colonial.  And each of those variations have
their own history and style. 

I thought you might enjoy some images of what I would consider traditional
colonial.  I think what we all appreciate about the style is the simplicity and
function.  The woods are beautiful, whether stained or painted.  The colors
are generally warm and inviting.  And yet, the rooms can have an airy, light
feel.  Blue and white are very popular; and black and white come close behind.
It is truly a style that you can take, use basic designs, and then give it your
own personal touch; which is what makes our homes our own.  Enjoy
these pictures. 



 Love this havest table.  I can almost picture the colonial family gathered here.


You can take colonial elements like painted cabinets and incorporate it into a traditional kitchen.

 Stencil and wall murals were ways to decorate walls and make them totally personal.

Another way of using a colonial twist with traditional.

 Who doesn't love a traditional Georgian colonial?

 A little blurry but still simplistic elegance.


Just a couple of colonial items from the store.

Have a great finish to your week.  We'll visit soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.