Friday, September 30, 2011

Martha Stewart Would Be So Proud (until she looked closer)

I spotted the cutest pumpkin idea on the cover of Country Living. Their method was
kind of complicated and involved (at least more than I wanted to do), so I gave it
some thought and improvised.  It really wasn't that hard and I was pleased with it
when all was said and done. I wanted to share the how-to with you if it's something
you think you might like.

This was my inspiration.  It probably caught
my eye because I like all things toile.  They
suggested copying a favorite wallpaper onto
cardstock, painting your pumpkin the background
color and cutting out the print. 

Not ashamed to admit my love of simplifying, I thought
maybe I could just find a cardstock scrapbook print I
liked and use it.  I cut the 12x12 sheets into 3 inch strips.

My youngest daughter helped me, by the way, and
we had  fun time doing this.  We put Mod Podge (my
new best friend :)) on with a sponge brush then placed
the strips of paper on.  We smoothed it with our fingers
as best we could but let's face it, you're not going to
smooth cardstock over a pumpkin perfectly but a friend
had a great perspective on this--she said the wrinkles
added character :).

With this size of pumpkin it took us about 12 strips.  As
we put it on we would put on more Mod Podge around the
edges to get as good a seal as possible.  And we kept
on having a good time.

Finished!! 
We applied about three coats of MP all over
when we finished.  The next morning I sprayed it
with a matte finish I had--it came in a spray can
just like spray paint.  I was really pleased with
out efforts.  And I have enjoyed having it to look at
and decorate with.

As I stated, I thought Martha Stewart would be so
proud--until she looked at the bottom of the
pumpkin.  It's not so pretty.  I learned not to sit
something on paper until the glue is dry.  Somehow
I think I missed that lesson in first grade.  But that's
why you turn and display your creation and show
off the best side.  Thanks for taking the time to read
this.  Hopefully I explained it in a way that you could
at least get an idea of how to do it.  It was one of
those great projects that you can actually tweak
yourself and it probably works better that way.
Happy Pumpkin Decorating!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.