Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bookcases and Mantles

Winter is a great time to focus on our homes.  Being indoors seems
to bring out our "nesting" feelings and gets our creative juices going.
I love being able to change things around without spending money.
If I were more creative, I would see things and be able to visualize
where to put them.  I have tried to become better at that and have
really enjoyed re-purposing things and moving them from one place
to a new home.

I had been really discontent with the way my bookcases had
been looking.  Last week I decided to do something new with
them.  I have lots of picture frames and since I am wanting to
go with a lighter look in my living room, I spray painted some
of them. I used a spray paint from Hobby Lobby that I have
used before.  It is Heirloom White.  Btw, did you know you
can download their app and get a 40% off coupon for regular
priced items?  That makes spray paint cheap!  After painting
them, I distressed some of them--adds character.

I tried to go with Design course 101 of odd-numbered things
but found some shelves just needed to be different.  Mainly,
I arranged, rearranged, stepped back, changed, etc. until I
liked what I saw.
White frames for a lighter look.  Odd numbers of items on shelves
(mostly)

A cozy lamp makes a nice addition as an accent light.

Berries on the fireplace for winter.  I will add spring colors
when February rolls in.
What do you like to do to change things around?  I'd love to hear ideas.
Happy decorating!
P.S.  My lighting wasn't great, click on the pics to get bigger, clearer pictures.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you wish to order anything I will contact you if you leave contact info. My comments are not published until I moderate them so I will not put your private info in the comment section.